Richard Armitage

Richard Armitage
"In Awe, of ME?" *skeptical look*

02/11/2014

"How to Make Friends & Unite People" - My Experience of the 'RA Fandom'

Now that I'm starting to find my way in this blogging world (though not without some growing pains!), I thought it was about time I write about my personal experiences of a very important part of being a follower/admirer/well-wisher/Armitage Army member of Richard. That is; The "RA Fandom". 

In The Beginning ... 

This time in August I was in a pretty rubbish place. Jobless, and facing a career which made me miserable, when all I wanted was to pursue my creative ambitions, but not quite sure how to do it. I was pretty lonely too; being without cash to spend doesn't make you the most popular person, or maybe that I haven't got the right sort of friends! I faced all this, and life was a pretty miserable prospect. Then, one day, I decided to go and see one of my favourite people in all the world in a role I thought him born to play. I went to see The Crucible, and everything changed...

The first time I went to see The Crucible I had decided it was a treat for myself. I'd kept some money aside, it was a special time to indulge in something that I would enjoy. And boy did I. At this point, I knew there were fellow Richard admirers out there, but I'd been in a pretty isolated place, so my awareness of them was minimal. But it was on this day it started to change. There was a great buzz about the theatre and everyone was whispering excitedly to each other - friends amongst friends, but most interestingly; strangers amongst strangers. I spoke to several people behind and to the side of me; we could all sense each others excitement and shared each others thoughts on what we hoped for the performance. And so the play truly did feel like a shared experience - we had all shared in that moment of excitement and now were sharing equally in the play's moments of sorrow. I left the theatre feeling so much better, inspired in fact. With the hope of not sounding too melodramatic here; life felt worth living again...

But my true initiation into the RA fandom all came down to a random encounter on Twitter. It was one of those moments I look back on and think: "imagine where I'd be if it hadn't happened"...

A Chance Encounter

Richard had joined twitter, and so my usage of it had quadrupled ;) - After 'Baconbeard', how could I not be checking his account to see what ingenious inspired moment would come next?! It was during one of my browsing sessions, in which I was mainly indulging in enjoying other peoples stage door photos, that I saw a little tweet come up from someone who said they had a spare ticket to see Richard in Conversation, as she was no longer able to go. Time froze. I had so wanted to go, but money was tight. But I went for it - 'seized the day' as they say - and got in touch...

And the person I met is now a very dear friend to me. She said I need not pay her for the ticket. But we eventually agreed if I could buy and post her a poster she had forgotten to get, that would make up for it. I thought this such a generous offer, I snapped it up and was very grateful! 

At first, my cynical lonely mind thought; 'be careful, she could be misleading you'. But she hadn't asked for anything out of the ordinary, and had sent me all the details for the ticket; I decided to trust in someone this time around. And boy, did it pay off! I arrived at the theatre, everything was fine, I had a wonderful time. I texted her after the event to thank her and filled her in about what I could remember, and I now dedicate my previous blogpost to her, in thanks of her kind gesture :).

And so, my submersion into the RA fandom had begun. And it was about to get even bigger and better...

On the day I recounted in an earlier post, when I, by chance, got to see The Crucible a second time, and met the lovely Richard himself - well, I had not achieved this alone. Whilst queuing at the theatre on that spontaneous day, I had texted my fellow RA friend to tell her about my little adventure. I asked if she knew the chances of me getting a ticket, and she said she didn't but she knew a group who would be able to help, on Facebook. And so I was let in to this group and, once again, my kind RA friend performed a wonderful act of kindness and asked its members if any of them had advice for me about getting a ticket and the stage door experience. I stood in the queue, taking in lots of very useful advice from strangers all over the world on my little phone; it was quite surreal! When I managed to get my ticket I shared it with the group in disbelief, joy and gratitude...

After the performance and meeting the man himself, I rushed home and shared my thanks with him on Twitter; and once again was introduced to further Richard admirers, asking stories and sharing pictures of their autographs. That was a wonderful experience too. I wrote a thank you message on the Facebook group and had a browse around; this looked like fun! From that point on, everything changed, and I became what I am now; the member of a fully fledged RA-Admirer family of my very own :)...

Finding a Family

The Crucible was coming to an end, and some of the members were getting itchy feet; we wanted to talk and also share fun things about Richard, but not just in a Crucible context. We also were all fond of our new exposure to Richard's brilliant and quirky sense of humour, and wanted a place we could share in that. And so a few of us united and created our own group, of which there are now many wonderful members. 

It was here that I really began to find myself again, and get back a little confidence. I was required to co-operate with people, learn to use new social media features, make an interesting group people wanted to join; but also I was able to interact with a group of people who all had a shared interest in Richard Armitage. It felt like home, somehow. I felt like I was able to share with these people in a way I've never done before, even with my oldest friends. I was laughing like I hadn't laughed in years. Real, serious belly laughter; tears and everything. It was wonderful. I woke up each morning wondering what mischief we would get up to! What I loved most about the group was that it was fun. It was a place we could go to laugh, and share funny pictures of Richard and indulge in each others admiration for him and have funny little competitions. There was an implicit trusting bond between us all and it meant what was created was really a Richard Armitage family. I hope, if this blog ever comes into your view, Richard, you can feel proud of the fact that people all over the world are uniting in their admiration of you, and are honoured to be, too :)...


Here's an example of the kinds of fun pictures we
 love to enjoy, for their complete sillyness :)!

#OneBeardToBringThemAll

It was at this time I became involved in a little Twitter event which you may have heard of, called #OneBeardToBringThemAll. It was an idea we had, to put on what we thought would be a fun and entertaining little 'event'; to wear beards, in honour of Richard's own he was still sporting from his role as Proctor at the time, and also in reference to an interview in which Richard suggested the Armitage Army wore a uniform...."perhaps beards?".

It was during this time that we really bonded as a group, and a time in which I learnt more about myself and my skills and capabilities (and also flaws!), than I ever had before. We had to work together as a team to finalise and organise the details of the event, contact other groups, answer questions. It became almost like a full time job! But what I saw unfolding was pure excitement to share in something fun and unique for Richard; even if it meant looking a bit silly! People were working together and loving it; I saw a really good side of human nature during this time, which helped me a lot. 

When the day finally came, and I finally managed to unleash my beard (which I was very proud of, by the way, and quite miss ;) ) - and watch others unleashing theirs on the Twittersphere too - it felt incredible. Never have I felt more part of the world I live in; even if it is in a virtual sense. There were beards from the UK, America, Europe, South America, Australia... Though there were only a modest 'number' in end, it was clear to see the enjoyment of this event spread further and wider than just those wearing the beards! To share in (what we considered) a victory, after all that anticipation and nervous energy was such an adrenaline rush (god I know I sound sad, but it really was!). It almost became not about Richard at all; though inspired by and essentially for or in honour of him. It became about us. The RA fandom. A small group of us uniting, in our own small way, to share and celebrate the joy we got from being fellow RA admirers, and doing it together. It really was such a special time, an unforgettable time, and I thank all those who worked hard to put it together and all those who participated, and those who enjoyed it too!


The Inspiration for #OneBeardToBringThemAll ...
look at The Precious...*strokes screen*... ;)
Settling In

I feel very much part of an RA-based community now; I have regular conversations - RA related or otherwise - with people on twitter and facebook; I have made lifelong friends. I have made connections with the RA bloggers, and been welcomed warmly and given some great advice and guidance on how to make blogging work for me. I have come across new creative ventures, inspired by Richard, like Cartoon Armitage, and connected with fellow artists across the world on our combined passions of creativity and Richard (a heavenly mix, that's for sure!). And last but not least, I have made connections with a whole new group of RA friends; those of you who take the time to read my blog and are kind enough to give me feedback - you have helped me become a better blogger.

And so, I come to my present point in this journey. Part of a fantastic FB group full of laughter and trust; with some new friends I have made along the way. I have a community of people I can tweet about Richard with, when I am feeling like the addiction is all too much to bear (which I have been recently). And of course there is the man himself, who continues to find his style of Tweeting and who I learn more and more about with each tweet; witty, quirky, lovely, honest, articulate. My own tweets feel pretty silly in comparison, but I love enjoying his hashtags with my circle of RA friends! I have become part of a community - albeit a virtual one. But in today's age, where everyone is so stressed and so busy, maybe that's exactly the kind of escape you need? It has certainly been a great help and support network for me. And long may it continue; though I may have to get a life and actually start doing some things at some point ;). Whereas three months ago I thought myself useless, worthless, a failure; now I feel I have really for the first time in my life, started to accept who I am, faults and strengths, and am learning to be comfortable with them, and feel braver to challenge those parts of me I think I can make better, stronger. 

What if?...

I do think to myself; what if? What if I hadn't been to see The Crucible? Would I have met Richard? What if I hadn't been cancelled on by my friend, and gone a second time? What if I hadn't replied to that tweet? ... Would the beards have happened? Would I belong to a community of new friends, with whom I have a new found confidence and passion for life? ... It certainly makes me wonder...

And then there's Richard. If I hadn't discovered Richard, and wanted to see him all those years later in the remarkable role of Proctor, what would I be doing now? I'm going to go all out now and say something potentially over-the-top, but in many ways I genuinely do believe it. Richard Armitage saved my life. Through my admiration of him, his good nature and his fine work, I have made new friends, have a new found confidence, have new hopes and a new drive for life...

 So thanks for that, Sir :).

Thanks Richard! :D


Antigone 
x












3 comments:

  1. Wonderful descriptions of the RA fandom and how the shared experience of attending The Crucible brought us all together that little bit more. I am proud and honoured to be one of the friends that you have discovered along the way. I'll finish with a bit of Willy Wagglestaff: "A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become and still gently allows you to grow". Couldn't have put it better myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience. You've expressed beautifully much of how I feel about the RA-fandom. It's wonderful to be a part of a community where you can interact as much or as little as you feel the need to on any given day... as opposed to groups you can join with in town, which often come with commitments, meetings, schedules. And even outside of RA, I find I've learned so much about other topics, places and projects various admirers around the world are interested in as these friendships develop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me feel a fresh wave of "good to be here", Antigone :) You expressed something beautiful about us being here for each other, probably even more than for RA, truthfully! It seems odd to feel grateful to someone I've never met for the friends I've found because of him- but it's true :) Thanks again for the post!

    ReplyDelete